Monday, March 28, 2011

Are You a Consumer?


First I want to start off my saying that this weekend and today were super great. I love the weekends, and I'm so glad that Mondays are my easiest day, because if they weren't I'd probably want to kill myself a lot. I've started staying at home on Sunday nights and coming to campus around 10 on Monday morning. I love it! I get to sleep in my moms bed, wake up when I feel like it, and take my time. This also makes me want to live at home more and more next year. I am 100% okay with it. I'm sure there will be days when I get in a fight with my mom or sister and I'll regret ever saying this, but for the most part I think I will really enjoy it. Today we had small group, which is always so great. This week Steph had us draw our heart and write or draw inside it whatever we were feeling, or whatever was on our heart, or how our heart felt. It's so great to be able to see how everyone else is doing and what is going on in their heart. We each went around and talked about why we wrote or drew what we did. I drew a lot on my heart that I won't go into detail about, but one thing in particular was that I wrote "future" on my heart. I said that typically I would be stressed, anxious, confused, and impatient with the future and not knowing what to come. But for the first time ever in my whole entire life, I am thrilled with the fact that I am actually looking forward to the future not knowing what is to come. I explained it like this..I said that normally it's like I'm on a high thrill roller coaster and I have my eyes closed trying to predict what's coming next, but now I'm just riding a slow, calm train to wherever it takes me, and I'm enjoying it! I have finally come to terms with the fact that I don't plan my future, so why obsess over it. All of this leads me to talk about Crossroads tonight. It was so awesome! It was probably the best one I've ever been too. This semester the talks have all been about how to follow Jesus more. Tonight Greg talked about 3 directions God calls us to. 1. Holiness. The pursuit of Holiness is fundamental to the Christian walk. Greg said this exactly, "If you don't feel the Holy Spirit in you then you are not a Christian." There should be something in you that wants to please God, that something is the Holy Spirit. The second direction God calls us to is A love for God's people. Yeah, we've all read in the bible that we are suppose to love everyone, which is true, but we really need to love our church, our brothers and sisters in Christ. This is where a lot of people fall short. People bash the church and the people of the church. This is not loving God's people. We are to first love those who are of the household of family: the church. The third thing is Learning Responsibility, and this really hit home. Greg said this so many times...DO NOT have a consumer mentality. Which is what a lot of us tend to do? It's easy to go to church and listen to the sermon, or go to a small group and be fed from the other members, but we have to share what we are being fed. Tim said this a young life a few weeks ago, we have to be spiritually FIT not FAT. Yeah, it's great to be fed at church and small group, but once you've eaten, you have to go work out. Share the gospel with others! That's what we are called to do! Labor for the Kingdom of Christ around you! Greg then talked about how idleness is the number one thing that leads to sin. Which is so true. So basically, we need to use our time wisely....which I do not know how to do. I love being idle and being lazy. But that's doing nothing for me or Jesus. So again Greg said it, Stop having a consumer mentality! STOP! This is something that I will continue to pray about. I know that is a few short days I will be beginning my journey to share my ministry with lost high school kids. I will be doing what Jesus has called me to do. Speaking of which....I get placed WEDNESDAY! This Wednesday! And I am seriously so pumped. I'm going to want to kill myself the whole time in Chem lab so I can hurry and leave and get to Steph's! I will definitely post soon after I find out! 

If you really knew me you would know that I love taking naps! I could pretty much fall asleep on command. 

No comments:

Post a Comment